HMS Gladan laid up for the winter
Photographed in Öckerö harbour on 1 November 2008.
See also sister ship Falken, picture #4262
Since 1776 Swedish naval officers have received their education on board special training ships. In 1946 it was decided to build new ships to replace HMS Jarramas.
HMS Gladan was then delivered from the Stockholm Naval Dockyard in June 1947 and was followed by her sistership HMS Falken in October of the same year. Both schooners have been renovated over the years. HMS Gladan and HMS Falken usually sail together on their cruises to the harbours in the Baltic, Kattegat, Skagerak and the North Sea. Furthermore they have crossed the Atlantic several times, twice to sail in the Caribbean and once in a sail race for training ships.
Since 1956 both schooners have participated in most international sailing races for training ships. Their success has been substantial, both in their own class as well as in general.
Built in 1947, displacement 220 tons. Crew: 7 officers, 7 seamen, and 28 cadets. Total length: 34.4 m, beam: 7.2 m, draught: 4.2 m. Total height over waterline 34.1 m and total sail area 583m2.
Auxiliary motor 128HP.
Picture added on 01 November 2008