tourist attraction 'Moby Dick'
Old schooner "Moby Dick" (154 tons gross, built by Nicholson & Marsh, Glasson Dock, near Lancaster), owned by P. Latham, moored as a tourist attraction at Morecambe in January 1970. She was built in 1887 as the Lancaster-registered 3-masted schooner "Ryelands" & operated as a normal coastal cargo ship until 1949 when she was bought by Elstree Studios & used in the 1950 film "Treasure Island" under the name "Hispaniola". Between 1952 & 1954 she was owned by Scarborough Corporation & used as a tourist attraction (installed with an aquarium) as the "Hispanioquarium". She was then again used for filming, as the "Pequod" in the 1956 version of "Moby Dick" (hence her last name) and later in the 1956-57 joint BBC & PBS (of America) TV series "The Buccaneers". She was bought by Latham in 1960 & destroyed by fire in June 1970, just 5 months after this photo was taken.
Picture added on 14 October 2013 at 08:12