Italian passenger ship 'Achille Lauro' (1)
Naples-registered passenger ship "Achille Lauro" (23,629 tons gross, built by N.V. Koninklijke Maatschappij "De Schelde", Vlissingen, the Netherlands), owned by Achille Lauro fu G. & Co. (Flotta Lauro Lines) arriving at Fremantle. Western Australia, in July 1966. Her keel was laid in 1939 but construction was delayed by the War & she was not completed until 1947, as the "Willem Ruys" for Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd NV. She was bought by Lauro in 1965 & extensively refitted & remodelled at Palermo. In 1972 she was converted to a cruise ship at Genoa & in October 1985 she was hijacked in the Mediterranean by 4 members of the Palestine Liberation Front & 1 passenger was murdered. In 1987 her owners were restyled StarLauro after Lauro's takeover by Mediterranean Shipping Co. On November 30 1994 she caught fire off Somalia & sank on 2nd December; 3 passengers died.
See also picture #22638
Picture added on 28 August 2013 at 09:38