Ships and Harbours
wreck of the 'Martand' in the Hooghly
Wreck of the British general cargo ship "Martand" (8,007 tons gross, built by Wm. Hamilton & Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow) aground in the Hooghly River, India, in May 1964. She was completed in June 1939 for direct ownership of T. & J. Brocklebank Ltd., Liverpool & transferred to North Western Line (Mersey) Ltd. (a subsidiary of Cammel Laird) soon after its formation in 1963 but immediately bareboat chartered back to Brocklebank without change of name. On 11th May 1964 she ran aground off Ulubaria in the Hooghli; she later broke her back & was declared a constructive total loss.
Picture added on 28 April 2013 at 08:18
William Hamilton, Port Glasgow, United Kingdom