British passenger-cargo ship 'Amra' of 1938
British India S.N. Co's passenger/cargo ship "Amra" (8,314 tons gross, built 1938 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend) arriving at Mombasa, Kenya, in September 1964. Her passenger capacity was 45 1st class, 110 2nd class, 154 tourist & 2,327 deck & she was powered by 6 Parsons steam turbines geared to 2 shafts. During World War 2 she served as a hospital ship & thereafter on the Bombay/East & South Africa run. She was sold for scrap at the end of 1965 to Chou’s Iron & Steel Co., Keelung, Taiwan.
Picture added on 27 April 2013 at 07:29