US Maritime Training Ship taken at Leith in 1987. Built by the New York Shipbuilding Co at Camden in 1951 she was launched as American President Lines' PRESIDENT JACKSON but was taken over almost immediately by the US Government and renamed BARRETT becoming a troop transport. She became a training ship in 1973. Laid up in 1990 she was renamed STATE and as part of the Reserve Fleet lay in reserve till scrapped in 2007.
There is a new, but not so striking EMPIRE STATE.
Picture added on 07 December 2011 at 09:13