A once regular sight at Greenock were the Weather Ships. This is in refurbished and rebuilt form which they gained in the early 1970s.
She was built by Harland and Wolff at Belfast in 1944 as the frigate PEVENSEY CASTLE and became a Weather Ship WEATHER MONITOR in 1961.
Rebuilt in 1977 she was renamed ADMIRAL BEAUFORT and served until the early 1980s when the ships were withdrawn and she was broken up at Troon in January 1982.
This was taken at Greenock in March 1979.
Picture added on 21 April 2011 at 10:53