Shaw Savill managed emigrant liner taken at Southampton in 1949 following her conversion.
She was built in 1931 by Vickers Armstrong on Tyneside as MONARCH OF BERMUDA.
Following a disastrous fire on Tyneside when she was undergoing a Post War refit she was towed to Southampton and was totally rebuilt as NEW AUSTRALIA. The unusual mainmast abaft the bridge was a funnel also.
Following the decline in the emigrant trade by sea she was sold to Greek Line in 1958 becoming their ARKADIA and was scrapped as such in Spain in 1966.
Photo courtesy of late Donald Robertson, photo in collection.
Picture added on 03 July 2010 at 08:14