Patricia, former Trinity House flagship
Photographed at Slussen, Stockholm on 10 April 2009.
The Corporation of Trinity House, London, operates a fleet of Trinity House Vessels to service its aids to navigation in the North Sea and English Channel. During her 40 years as flagship of the Elder Brethren of Trinity House, THV Patricia helped to open the Iceland Naval base in 1940, and acted as pathfinder for 'Route X' - the shortest 'safe' route to Dunkirk. She was there to re-establish the Channel Islands' lights after the German surrender and, on numerous occasions, acted as Royal Escort, (a long-standing privilege of the Elder Brethren's flagship). She took the place of the Royal Yacht when Prince Philip went to the Olympic Games in Scandinavia in 1952 and attended many ceremonial occasions.
Patricia (2) was built in 1938 by Smith's Dock of Middlesbrough. She was fitted with expensive diesel-electric machinery to aid manoeuvrability. At 1,116 gross tons, she was the largest Trinity House tender built. As the Trinity House "yacht", she was fitted with additional accommodation for inspecting committees etc.
She was retired in 1982 to become a restaurant in Sweden, as shown here.
Trinity House has three main functions:
The care of all lighthouses in England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar.
Providing aids to navigation, e.g. lightvessels, lighthouses, buoys, radio navigation services etc.
Serving as a charitable organisation for mariners; looking after their safety, welfare, training etc.
Trinity House is financed from “Light Dues” levied on commercial shipping calling at ports in the United Kingdom.
See also picture #10287
Picture added on 13 April 2009