Scotts' Shipbuilding, Greenock, United Kingdom
The oldest shipbuilding company in the world was founded by John Scott who commenced shipbuilding at Greenock in 1711. Building at the Cartsdyke Dockyard commenced approximately 1850.
The adjacent yard of R Steele as taken over in 1883 and became the Cartsburn Dockyard, which specialised in naval ships
In 1925 Scott's took over the Cartsdyke Mid Yard which belonged to Ross and Marshall a well established Greenock firm and in the 1930s the original Cartsdyke yard was exchanged with the now Greenock Dockyard's Cartsdyke Mid yard.
Initially sailing ships were built and as ships progressed into the steam and diesel age, naval vessels and general cargo ships were the main output with Blue Funnel and John Swire's China Navigation Company being major customers in the inter-war years.
Post WW2 these companies built their replacements for war losses together with Elder Dempster and bulk carriers and tankers were also constructed. In 1965 Scott's merged with the Greenock Dockyard. The Cartsburn and Cartsdyke Yards were now one entity. In 1970 Scotts' merged with Lithgows of Port Glasgow becoming Scott-Lithgow but still became part of the disastrous British Shipbuilders in the mid 1970s.
Following the collapse of BS the company survived as Scott- Lithgow Ltd and continued to build the mix of naval and merchant shipping. Also in the group was the small yard of Scott and Sons of Bowling which had been absorbed in the mid 1960s.
The downturn in shipbuilding saw the former Greenock Dockyard's Cartsdyke yard closed in 1979, the end coming for Cartsburn in 1984. Last ships were for Ocean Group (Blue Funnel)- MYRMIDON and the Royal Navy's Seabed Operations Vessel HMS CHALLENGER ending a 273 year tradition. Ironically in the early 1970s Scott- Lithgow had helped establish the Ulsan yard of Hyundai Heavy Industries in Korea their first VLCCs being to a Scott- Lithgow design.
Scotts' built over 1200 ships including one of the earliest tankers NARRAGANSETT in 1903, the barque ARCHIBALD RUSSELL and in later years the Fleet Auxiliaries FORT GRANGE now FORT ROSALIE and FORT AUSTIN both still sailing. They also built the drilling ship BEN OCEAN LANCER in 1977. The sites of the Cartsburn and Cartsdyke yards are now unrecognisable being a hotel, call centres and the proverbial McDonald's. One reminder does remain in the shape of the original drydock but sadly this lies unrecognised amongst the redevelopment.
With thanks to Paul Strathdee
Filmed in the Thames 4/4/ 1975.
Slide courtesy of Mike Spratt (Melbourne).
Another photo of th...
HMS OTTER S15
Oberon class submarine filmed ' Portsmouth 28th August 1983.
J&A; Gardner coaster in Glasgow in June 1975. She was built by Scotts' at Bowling in 1966.
Sold on i...
filmed in the upperreaches of Melbourne's River Yarra in January 1975.
Area transformed now
stopped to inspect a small vessel during 1965-66
Note: for those who argued that Taranaki did not h...
Chartroom of British India's "Nowshera" of 1955. Equipment (from left to right): Sperry gyro course ...
A composite picture of the Wheelhouse of British India S.N. Co's "Nowshera" of 1955. Equipment (from...